I have agreed to allow the emulator to be used with the *BSD
operating systems under conditions which are more relaxed
than the Linux and DJGPP conditions.
I have done this because I wish to support free software.
However, the communities supporting these operating systems
have influential arm-chair lawyers who seem intent on
placing extreme interpretations on just about any words
which do not place the emulator in the public domain
(I do not intend placing the emulator in the public domain).
I don't know if any version of *BSD currently includes
The conditions for using the emulator with *BSD (updated for 1997) are:
an FPU emulator for 80386 and 80486SX microprocessors.
Copyright (C) 1992,1993,1994,1996,1997
W. Metzenthen, 22 Parker St, Ormond, Vic 3163,
All rights reserved.
- This copyright notice covers the redistribution and use of the
FPU emulator developed by W. Metzenthen. It covers only its use
in the 386BSD, FreeBSD or NetBSD operating systems. Any other
use is not permitted under this copyright.
- Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must include information specifying
that source code for the emulator is freely available and include
- an offer to provide the source code for a nominal distribution
- list at least two alternative methods whereby the source
can be obtained, e.g. a publically accessible bulletin board
and an anonymous ftp site from which the software can be
- All advertising materials specifically mentioning features or use of
this emulator must acknowledge that it was developed by W. Metzenthen.
- The name of W. Metzenthen may not be used to endorse or promote
products derived from this software without specific prior written
- THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
W. METZENTHEN BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
- The purpose of this copyright, based upon the Berkeley copyright, is to
ensure that the covered software remains freely available to everyone.
- The software (with necessary differences) is also available, but under
the terms of the GNU copyleft, for the Linux operating system and for
the djgpp ms-dos extender.
- W. Metzenthen February 1997.